


Sometime in October I started to feel nostalgic about childhood Christmases. In particular, I was remembering all of my mom's activities and homemade advent calendar. In November it finally occurred to me that I had no homemade advent calendars, and that I really wanted my kids to have similar memories.
So, on a whim I called a friend that I consider to be crafty and that I thought would also enjoy making an advent calendar. She said she'd like to do it too... so I was off and running to find a project that we could make. What I ended up finding was completely different than what I had originally envisioned, but it looked so cute that we decided to make it. I found it on another blog that has several cute ideas: http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2007/11/advent-calendar.html.
It didn't seem like it was going to be that much work at first. But after cutting out 50+ pockets from felt took us a few hours, we started to realize that it wasn't going to be quite so easy. We then had to whipstitch them together, freehand our own numbers, and sew on buttons. Then we had to come up with a way to hang them, attach fabric between each one and actually get it on the wall. At the last minute I realized that I hadn't yet thought to make the paper dangles to affix as the days went by. I ended up spending the majority of two days to frantically get this entire project done before December 1st... but, surprisingly, I made it. And now we will have this calendar for the years to come. My goal is to make another advent calendar this summer so that next year the kids can take turns each opening one a day.
1 comment:
It's funny, I saw that same thing and almost made it last year, but never got around to it. It was really cute, and I thought it would look good on the mantle or staircase. Maybe next year . . .
Post a Comment