Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Look Who Can Read

Charlie, or Charles as he prefers to be called these days, has always been a lover of letters.
As in the letters of the alphabets.
By the time he was 2 and 1/2 he knew them all.
And the ABC song.
He knew all their beginning sounds at the age of 3.
He could sight read about 30 words at 3.
And about 45 at 4.

Yet phonics were just out of his grasp.
Until one day, when he magically just got it.

We went from not understanding the concept that each letter within the word makes sound to reading two syllable words in the space of one day.  Literally.
This kid's mind just amazes me.

To encourage his refound love of letters and new reading ability, we started a "word wall".  Ephram wanted to help by pointing out words for Charlie to say.  Actually, they were really cute playing school together.

After about a week of looking at words on the wall, I decided we were ready to try an actual book.  I had these short phonics readers that I bought at Costco long ago.  Charlie was beyond ready for these books.  He burned through 10 of them in a week.  He had so much fun reading them and putting a sticker on the inside cover for every successful attempt.


One of his favorite stories was this one about a plant that eats everything that lands on it.  Charlie still does not believe me when I try to explain what a Venus Fly Trap is.


He has found some other creative uses for books as well.


I am so happy that he is returning to his love of words, and it is so fun to see his reading skills evolve.  Fast forward three months, and his progress amazes me.  He can read very complicated words and is getting faster at reading longer stories too.  He has read several early reading books, some from Pixar, some of the Biscuit series and a few of Ephram's favorites too (like the Ear Book and Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb.)  Ephram will grab a book, run over, sit on Charlie's lap and wait expectantly.  I love that Charlie can pick up the book and read it to his brother.  It's just another fun way for them to interact! Charlie has also been enjoying the Highlights High 5 magazine subscription his grandma gave him for his birthday.  At first I had to read everything to him, now he gets annoyed if I decode a word before he has the chance!  (How dare I try to be helpful?  He must be getting older...)

We are very proud of our little reader.

No comments: