We started by cutting off the tops and scooping out the innards. Lynnae was having a hard time figuring out how to separate the seeds from the strings, so we had to help her with that!
Andy and I chose the fast and easy method for carving our pumpkins... We used templates! Lynnae really wanted her name on her pumpkin and we decided to let her do it all herself. So she drew her name and then cut it out without our help. We were actually very impressed with how well she did, for an 8 year old we weren’t sure if it would turn out. The big gaping hole under her name is supposed to be a mouth. That one threw me into fits of laughter. Charlie colored his pumpkin, and had a great time doing it! We were all laughing and having fun all night.

The next day I made pumpkin seeds. Since I watch my sodium, I try to stay between 1600-2000 ml a day, and most pumpkin seeds are drenched in salt... I searched for a pumpkin seed recipe that would be different. I found one on allrecipes.com that was really good, and a third of the sodium in most pumpkin seeds. First I roasted the seeds in the oven, then I pulled them out and fried them in olive oil and sugar. Finally, I tossed them in a mix of sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and a tiny bit of salt. (I cut the salt in the recipe in half to reduce it even more.) They were very tasty!!! I thought they were very similar to kettle corn.
This year was so much fun that I am already looking forward to pumpkin carving next year. And the mess was not too bad!



No comments:
Post a Comment