Tuesday, November 11, 2008

First Parental Trip to the ER

We have officially marked another parental milestone... Our first trip to the ER for a child’s injury. Charlie, as I’ve mentioned, is all boy and all acrobat. Sometime on Friday night he got out of bed and started playing with his train set... Which is right by his closet. He has also learned how to open and shut his closet, and has played in there a bit. We, unfortunately, had never noticed a jagged corner on a wire shelf near the bottom of the closet. I went in to check on him before going to bed on Friday and found him asleep on his floor... Which is not that unusual. He got up and wanted to go potty, so I took him to the potty. While he was sitting there he just started sobbing. So I went to go rub his head to make him feel better, and lo and behold, I found a huge mass of blood in his hair. Yes, I freaked out. Turns out he managed to gouge himself pretty good on that wire shelf.

After a call to the nurses line, Charlie and I took off for the ER. I told him that we were going to go on a space adventure. We brought Buzz Lightyear and Curious George along with us. On the ride there I told him that he was going to be a space ranger like Buzz and that he had a special mission at the hospital. When they put his identification bracelet on his ankle, I told him that was his space ranger tag and that it was all about him. Hours later he told me, “I am never, never, never going to take this off Mommy!” (I actually had to coerce him to finally take it off on Sunday.) He did excellent in triage and cooperated with the nurse very well. In the waiting room he made best friends with an elderly woman who was there accompanying a neighbor that had had a seizure. He was being very lively. It didn’t end when we got back to his room. I put on tv, the only thing on was Kim Possible, and he continued to be very happy and cooperative with all of the nurses. There was a slightly crazy person next to us, but I actually think Charlie managed to block that out. There was some debate over whether they would staple his wound or glue it, and in the end they decided to glue it. He was very still and didn’t cry at all as the doctor worked.

Three and a half hours later we were leaving the ER. They gave him a teddy bear, to which he promptly replied, “Thank you for Cuddle Bear!” And now, its name is Cuddle Bear still... It is his new favorite stuffed animal, even eclipsing Curious George. Six nurses came in to say goodbye to him and told me that he just might be the most happy and cooperative 2 year old they have ever seen. I told him how proud I was of him and he looked at me and said, “I’m proud of you Mommy. Can we go home Mr. Mommy?” (That is what he likes to call me now... I’ve been working on the differences between Mr. and Mrs... But he hasn’t gotten it yet!) We got into the car and I fought to stay awake until we made it home... At 4am. (I woke up at 6:30 that morning to prepare for a school festival for Lynnae, so I was beat!) I honestly could not believe how well he did during the whole evening.

Two days later he got frustrated while he was sleeping and pulled all of the hair out from where his scar was. Luckily the wound did not reopen... But now he has a nice bald spot. And, the offending corner is blocked with a baby gate and two boxes until we can repair it!

No comments: