So, if you've been around me much... or probably even just a little... in the last couple of years, you know that I have turned into a food label freak. Watching my sodium did it to me. Then I started looking at the rest of the label and at all of the ingredients. Grocery shopping with me can be a long experience.
I have learned a lot about food - some things that I never wanted to know, and some things that were a pleasant surprise. I am disgusted by how much of our food contains high fructose corn syrup. It's everywhere. I was happy to get a pleasant surprise when I looked at the cereal that I was giving Charlie this morning.
I must have looked at this label before, because this is a cereal that we consistently have eaten for at least a year. But I either didn't realize just how little sodium was in it, or I have forgotten.
Most cereal has between 180-240 mg of sodium per serving. That might not seem like a lot, but I try to keep my breakfasts really low in sodium because it is more difficult to find low sodium lunches and dinners. And once you add milk, depending on how much milk you add, that's another 100-200 mg of sodium. So cereal is not usually a common choice for me.
But my new favorite cereal is different. It has only 5 MG OF SODIUM per serving. And the servings are really filling too! It also has only 200 calories, 1 g of fat, 6!!! g of fiber, and 6 more g of protein. Yes, it has a lot of carbs, but that is kind of a given with cereal. It also comes in with 200mg of potassium, another positive thing if you want to lower blood pressure.
What is this magic cereal? Frosted Mini Wheats. And even better - they don't require much milk. In fact, I kind of like them dry. Just thought I would share my happy discovery!
1 comment:
Frosted mini wheats are actually one of my favorite cereals to eat dry. The only downside is that they're one of the few cereals that aren't good with yogurt, but I haven't eaten cereal with yogurt (besides grape nuts) in a while anyway.
Post a Comment