Monday, May 4, 2009

The Homeschooling Quest

I never really thought that I would homeschool a child. I have also never really had anything against homeschooling. It's just that the pressure of being the sole provider of education, and the question of a well-rounded social life have always kept me from picturing it.

Here I am, on a quest to homeschool my 8 year-old I-only-have-six-weeks-left-of-school third grader.

Why a quest? Let me tell you, this has been quite a year. Without going into great detail, homeschooling has been constantly becoming our best option to move Lynnae's life forward. But it's not that simple for us. Why? Because, technically, she is still a foster child. So I need state permission in order to pull her out of school. If I could, I would have pulled her out a month ago. So, I continue to try to get this done so that we can salvage the remainder of the school year. Every social worker and therapist that I have mentioned this idea to has backed this 100% as a good option for Lynnae. Now I just need that permission!

But... next year... I am all over the homeschooling option. I'm 99% sure that Lynnae's school life will take place in our home for fourth grade. And I think I've found a way around the "homeschooling a foster child" problem.

Our next door neighbors have homeschooled for the past couple of years. At the scrapbooking retreat I asked her where they went - because I knew they used a school to supplement their home-based learning. She proceeded to tell me about an education center in a neighboring school district that has the most amazing programs. If we are successful at registering in one of these programs, Lynnae will technically be a public school student. She'll spend a portion of her time at the school every week, to supplement our at-home learning. Curriculum will be provided to us, so that I don't have to completely invent the wheel. And they have amazing programs... robotics, Irish dancing, environmental science, Digipen... the list goes on.

We visited the school on Friday after our weekly therapy appointment. I was about 85% on board with the idea when we parked the car. Lynnae was about 0% onboard with the idea! Somehow I got her to walk in the door.

Five minutes later, she had wide eyes and a huge smile. I know I did too. I saw tons of kids - every one of them happy and participating. Just as many parents, and little ones in the halls. I was so impressed. And now I am worried that Lynnae will be crushed if we can't get in. We were both 100% onboard with the concept when I finally pried Lynnae out the door.

So, whatever your thoughts about homeschooling, keep your fingers crossed for us. I know that this school and their programs are the right solution for our family. Send us good thoughts for getting in!!!

3 comments:

The Stutzman Family said...

I think this is a great idea, Dzan! I think she will really benefit from it and hopefully someday she will realize/understand/appreciate what you did for her.

You're an amazing mom...

Daja said...

Sounds interesting! Homeschooling sounds like a lot of work and potentially frustrating to me, so this school sounds like a good idea. And the robotics sounds really cool.

Anna said...

Good for you! I was against homeschooling until I met a family on my mission that homeschooled. Thier children were bright, poliet, confident, friendly and helpful. I've come to learn that homeschooling done right has so many advantages over public school (of course to say im not impressed with public schools is an understatment!). I have a friend who has 7 kids and has been successfully homeschooling them for years. I'd be happy to put you in tough with her if you'd like some tips and resources.