Well, Boone has already proven his necessity in our house! If you don’t know it already, I am an accident-prone klutz. There are probably more klutzy people than me, but I do tend to make some awkward and embarrassing errors. They are usually hilarious... but, last Thursday’s would not have been.
On Thursday I was exhausted when I came home from work. I took Boone outside for a bit, brought him back in, and then started dinner. (Rosemary citrus chicken - yummy!) I had originally planned to grill the chicken, but Andy was coming home late so I decided to resort to option two. I seared the chicken on the stove and then placed it in an oven-safe pan and stuck it in the oven at 375. I went upstairs to read some Harry Potter. (I’m halfway through the Half Blood Prince now.)
In what must have been less than 10 minutes, my reading was interrupted by Boone making a huge ruckus. I go downstairs, and he’s sitting there barking up a storm. It takes one look to realize why. The entire stovetop is smoking, and I realize that the kitchen is full of smoke. Then my attention is drawn to the oven, where there is a nice little flaming fire raging on the bottom. Unbeknownst to me, a considerable part of the banana bread I made the previous Sunday fell out of the pan as it was baking and landed on top of one of the bottom coils. It was now on fire. I turned off the oven, opened it, pored a ton of baking soda on the fire... and then closed the oven again.
When Andy got home we had charbroiled chicken - fully cooked in only a half an hour. It was very good chicken. Thankfully I had taken the time to sear it, otherwise it would have been bone-dry! Boone got a big treat, and the new status of super-hero. Had he not have alerted me, the fire could have become much bigger!
No comments:
Post a Comment