Monday, August 13, 2007

Boone is Eleven Weeks Old Today (Old Site)

Today Boone turned eleven weeks old, and he has now been with us for just over two weeks. These two weeks have definitely been different in our house. I am now sleeping when the puppy is sleeping, which means that I am going to bed one hour early and waking up two hours earlier than I used to. .. But, he is sleeping a solid six hours through the night - which I didn’t really expect at his age. However tired I may be, it is definitely worth it... Boone is developing into a wonderful dog!

I am pretty comfortable in saying that he is now house-broken. He only had three accidents total... and is already trained at going to sit by the back door when he needs to go out. I am amazed at this... I was expecting a much longer ... and messier ... experience.

His favorite toys are a big rope, a trainer ball (it is a big ball with a little ball inside), and tennis balls. His favorite game with all of the toys is the same... We throw it, he runs and grabs it, comes and runs a couple of circles around us and then drops down so that we can grab it and throw it again. He especially likes doing this in the back yard where he can run farther and faster. He’s quite the runner!

Boone understands several commands already... outside, home, in, off, sit, and down. Now I am working on stay, so far it is not very successful. He will lay down really quickly for me, but I think he jumps up faster than he went down! We’ve also started getting him used to a loose leash, and we still have a long way to go on that... for now, the leash spends a lot of time in his mouth.

Most of our neighbors have met Boone in the last two weeks, and I think he especially enjoys watching our neighbor’s big black lab, Shadow. Boone will sit inside the house, at the window by the front door, watching Shadow for over ten minutes. That’s a long time for this little puppy to sit still! We are excited to introduce him to Shadow and the other dogs on our street once he is fully immunized.

In the last week Boone changed considerably and is looking a lot older than he did when we first met him! He is good at letting me brush him, handle his paws and touch his mouth. He definitely is nipping - like a normal puppy. I was really excited a few days ago when he seemed to start understanding that his teeth don’t feel good to us. (We’ve been yelping when he bites us.) He has started giving us kisses instead... with the occasional nip... but that’s progress!

No comments: