Sunday, August 9, 2009

It Made Sense to Charlie

Charlie has become very imaginative. He also is solution-oriented. He is always offering ideas on how we can fix whatever "problem" he thinks exists. Often his solutions are interesting.

Additionally, he is extremely excited to be having a baby brother or sister. For the past eight weeks he has been telling me that the baby should come out of my belly. (He's told the baby so too.) I keep telling him that the baby will come out this winter, around Christmas time. That is not soon enough for him! He is baby-obsessed, and all of his toys have become babies as well. They all have names and he cares for them throughout the day. Surprisingly, I too have come to know most of their names. He is very good at taking care of them - he feeds them (babies get a bottle, rabbits get a carrot,) puts them down for naps, rocks them, changes their diapers, and sings to them. It is all very cute.

About a week ago Charlie started insisting that our baby's name is Jeffory. And yes, I know that is not how you typically spell it... but Charlie puts great emphasis on the "o" so I cannot take it out. I have no idea where this name came from, but one day he just started asking me how Jeffory was doing. (He has come up with other names - the last one that he favored was Dolfie.) Andy and I don't really intend to name the baby Jeffory - so I suggested that maybe one of his friends could be Jeffory. Now, we have a new favorite baby... a little Cabbage Patch Kid all dressed in blue. Charlie carries him almost everywhere, and when he's not around Charlie often tells me that he hears him crying and needs to go find him.

So I was a little surprised earlier this week when he asked me, "Mommy, do you want to eat baby Jeffory?"

Me: "Why would I eat your baby? I like him!"
Charlie: "But he needs to help you."
Me: "Okay, how can he help me?"
Charlie: "He will go into your tummy and then help the baby get out!"
Me: "You are too silly!"
Charlie: "Yes I am!"

Apparently, it made perfect sense to him... I would eat his baby, who would then get into my tummy and find the other baby, and then they could both come out. His solutions have been funny before, but this is probably the most funny one ever.

We had (another) talk about how babies grow and that the baby needs more time to get ready. Charlie is just so impatient to be a big brother!

1 comment:

lyr said...

that's really, really, really funny.