Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Charlie is 3 1/2 Today

Today marks the halfway point between Charlie's 3rd and 4th birthdays. I know that it may seem a little silly to celebrate such a thing as a "half" birthday - but it is something that I like to do just for fun. When Lynnae turned 8 1/2 in January we made paper wreaths, a pie and let her have what she wanted for dinner. Today for Charlie we opened a new toy, made cookies, and are letting him have what he wants for dinner. (Taco Bell - he now, finally, likes burritos.) Am I setting really high expectations that I will regret in the next few years? Right now, I don't really care.

A couple of days ago I was doing some research on developmental milestones. I recently started watching my friend's almost 4-month-old baby 3 days a week... and I wanted to check into what she should be able to do, to see if I could help her along with her development. While I was at it, I checked into Charlie's development too.

Becoming a mom to a 2 year old and skipping all of the earlier stages is interesting. You don't really know what they should be able to do, and you don't know the history of how they have learned what they do know. All I know about Charlie's early life is contained in a 10-page "safety plan" that I was handed by the state. I know, certainly, that Charlie has made HUGE advances in the last 14 months we have known him. I know that his ability to read and write are rare. I know that he has some social and structure issues. (I also struggle with how to help him.)

But as I looked at the 3 year milestones I breathed a sigh of relief that every point was met. Then I decided to click on the 4-year milestones. I was shocked. I couldn't find one of them that he hasn't already met, or at least started. It made me so happy. We are talking about a boy who entered the foster care system at 14 months and could not crawl or stand. This boy 14 months ago would barely talk to people. He whispered to us for the first 6 weeks in one word sentences. He used to dissassociate regularly. Now he is telling us stories and making up songs for me as my "purprises".

Is he perfect? No. I really need to find a solution for this problem we have with not wanting to participate in or listen to coaches/teachers. (Not that I haven't already tried a bucket-full of tactics!) But in my eyes, I am so proud of him for the achievements he has made in the last 2 years of his life. I really, really wish that I had been there from the beginning... However, both of my kids show great signs of intelligence that are rare given their background and exposure in early life. We are all lucky.

Happy half-birthday to Charlie. And Lynnae turns 9 in 1 month and 4 days!

1 comment:

Daja said...

Tell Charlie "Halfy Birthday!" We celebrate 1/2 birthdays too. Some years we do more than others -- so they don't really expect much. Sounds like you are plenty busy up there!