My next door neighbor is one of those truly wonderful neighbors that you wish for in life. Of the many things I appreciate about her, she has reawakened my love for scrapbooking. Jamie organized a scrapbooking retreat for friends and asked if I would like to come along. She had rented out officer's housing at Fort Worden, which is in Port Townsend on the peninsula. The cost was minimal for 3 days, I only had to agree to do one meal with a partner. 3 days, no kids, scrapbooking, and new people... it sounded like heaven.
I tried at first to find someone that I could bring that I knew well, but that didn't quite workout. I decided to go anyway, by myself, and meet new people. It felt really good to do something unknown and a bit spontaneous. Andy was wonderful and gave me absolutely no grief about being alone with the kids for three days. I am so glad to have such a supportive and understanding husband.
I had an amazing time! I got 15 pages done - which is really good for me. I carpooled with one of Jamie's friend - and made another new friendship that I'd like to grow. We took the ferry out, and when we got there we immediately went for a walk down to the beach. Then we did some shopping, ate some dinner, did some scrapping, and slept. The house was wonderful. The next day was very rainy - but we got in a ton of scrapbooking and exploring. Amy and I went for a walk for about 2.5 hours in the pouring rain and wind. We found a bunker that we had fun exploring and walked over to the lighthouse. My hands were bright red when we got back, and my cheeks were windburned, but it was a great little adventure. We scrapped until the wee hours of the morning, and then went back to sleep. The next day was all about packing, but we had fun goofing off and made our way back home.
Andy did a fantastic job with the kids. It was good for me to be away - both to get my break, and to remember why I wanted to be home. I think we all need to remember that sometimes! I can't wait for the next retreat - hopefully in October! If you're local, and are interested in joining, just let me know.
1 comment:
Gee -- it looks cold -- you all have big heavy jackets on. We've been wearing shorts and t-shirts down here for awhile! Sounds like fun. Too bad I don't live closer. :-)
Post a Comment