Monday, March 17, 2008

More Winter Fun and Adoption News (Old Site)

Yeah! Two weeks and two blog entries! Am I back on track? We’ll just have to wait and see...

So, to catch you up on more of our winter happenings... In January I celebrated my birthday. It was fun... it was actually the first time I had felt good since getting sick on Christmas! Andy and I opened presents together, and went to the Outback for dinner. It was a nice low-key birthday. Andy gave me a whole bunch of accessories for my camera, which I really appreciated. He gave me a lens hood, a UV filter, a lens cleaning kit and a leash for my lens cap. This all came in very handy on our trip to Utah!

January also threw us some curve balls on our path to adoption. We found out about a few children that were available, but most of them didn’t pan out. There was one that we were able to learn quite a bit about, and we struggled with the choice of whether we wanted to pursue placement with him. In the end we decided not to proceed, for various reasons.

Skipping ahead a couple of months, Andy and I found out about two children that were looking for a family. Our adoption agency sent in our homestudy in response to the social worker’s inquiry. Two weeks ago we found out that we were selected as a potential family, and we had a meeting with the team for these children last Monday. Then on Friday we found out that they would like to proceed with us... we were able to talk with their previous foster parents, teachers, therapists and social workers. Now we are prepping ourselves to meet these kids tomorrow afternoon! We are very, very excited... and trying not to be too hopeful, as it is always possible that it won’t work out. However, this is looking really good - and we have a very positive feeling about it! So, within time we may be foster parents to a seven year old little girl and a two year old little boy! In the state of Washington, you have to remain foster parents for a period of at least six months prior to adopting children that have been in the foster care system... and then, if everything goes well we will have the option to adopt.

Needless to say, we are excited at the potential. For many of you, I am sure that it is also obvious that we are a little frightened as well. The idea of becoming instantaneous parents to a seven year old and a two year old is a bit overwhelming. Along with the idea, we need to prepare two rooms for children (not just one) and find a way to acquire all of the things needed to parent children of these ages. Regardless, we feel like we are emerging from a long tunnel... and can hardly believe that we may soon, finally, be someone’s mom and dad.

More good news for me... since last October I have been doing Weight Watchers with a friend. I did well in the first six weeks and then hit a major plateau. But, in the last month I have broken it! This past weekend I accomplished a 10% loss from my starting weight. I weigh less now than I have since 2000. In all, I have lost nearly 24 pounds... (I had a great week last week and actually went well over my 10% goal!) I am feeling good and excited to set a new goal, now that my first is done. I am down three sizes from where I started too!

So, I will try to update next week with a recap of our trip to Utah... which also took place in January!

No comments: