Saturday, December 22, 2012

CA '12: Giving Macie Drew a Name and a Blessing

Out of all of the things that we did in our whirlwind of a trip to California, nothing touched me more than a Sunday morning in church when my father, brother-in-law, and Andy's high school friend (among others) put their hands on my baby's head and gave her a name and a blessing.

Sure, I had a beautiful dress.  (Thank you Zulily.)  But I'd seen the dress before we left for California.  I'd put it on her and taken the token pictures when I saw just how beautiful she was.  I took the time to crochet some booties for her to wear, and put those on her as well.





 But there was just something special about that morning.  My sister's family had stayed for the blessing and my grandma had driven up from Vista.  I handed my baby girl to my dad and watched him walk with her to the front of the chapel.

And she was there, she was healthy, she was happy.  She cried not one peep during the blessing.  My dad said that she just stared at him all the way through.

Sometimes I think that I live with an angel.  I know for sure that she is very special.  Sure, all parents say that.  But there's something about my Macie Drew.  Something about the way she has changed me, my family and touched so many just by surviving and thriving.

And then my dad started talking.  There's something you should know about my dad, too.  He can talk.  He is gifted with words, and though he's not much of a talker, when he speaks it is usually moving.  And he spoke about her start, and her fight, and her spirit.  There was something about that moment and hearing my dad speak about what we'd been through that made it soak in, in a way that it never had before.  She is a miracle.  She is so special.  And I know that she is going to continue to touch others.  I just have a feeling that this will be her gift, to help and to impact the lives of those around her.

To be honest, I don't remember the words of the blessing.  I just remember that overwhelming feeling.  I know that she is supposed to be here.  She's my Macie Drew.

A special girl and a special day.









No comments: