Saturday, August 13, 2011

The End of Preschool

Throughout May, Charlie was concerned and excited about his last day of preschool.
My feelings were also mixed.
How could it be that my little boy would be attending preschool for the very last time?
And moving on to the "big kid's school" in a few short months?
But wouldn't it be nice to not have the commitment to drive him to school three days a week.
And pick him up, an event that always somehow interrupted Ephram's nap schedule?
And we could have our days to ourselves again.
Me and my little boys.
To do whatever we want together until the school years really started.

But... how could it be that he was actually old enough to graduate preschool?

The last day of class came faster than I'd imagined.
I'm sure it was slow coming for Charlie.

He was so excited as he ate lunch before the last day.
He chose out his Toy Story 3 shirt special - he said that his Toy Story friends needed to be there.
To help him sing in the Spring Show.


We loaded up in the car and walked Charlie to class.
One last time.
We left, to return 90 minutes later for his show.
Ephram was so excited to sit on the benches in the chapel and wait for the kids to come in.
When Charlie's class came in and took their place, I couldn't help but notice
A difference
Charlie looked proud.
He looked obedient.
And he looked so excited to show everyone what he knew.

They sang several songs.
The most amazing thing happened.
Charlie sang every word of every song.
He did every hand motion.
He didn't try to leave his place,
He didn't refuse to participate,
He didn't have any disagreements with the other children.
I was so proud.
I'm sure my smile stretched ear to ear.
Maybe he truly was ready to move on.

I recorded the songs that the kids sang,
(with Ephram's help, so some recordings are a bit jiggly.)
I had a hard time choosing which to share,
but I whittled it down to three.
I can't figure out how to imbed more than one YouTube video in a Blogger post.
So I imbedded my very favorite and provided links to the other two.  

No One Like You, a song by John Denver...
My absolute favorite.
Not just for the words and the joy on Charlie's face.
But because he proudly pointed at his family,
(and announced as much at the end.)
It makes me remember how lucky we are to have Charlie in our family.

Tap Your Sticks, was cute just to see how well Charlie followed the cues.
And also that he finally understands rhythm.

And a song about John 3:16, because of the complete silliness.
Not the message, but the body movements and gestures.

And, if you look at the videos, you may notice.
Charlie's had a bit of a growth spurt too.
He ended up being one of the tallest in his class,
And is quite taller than the other kids to his right
Who are all the same age as him.

After the show we walked to Charlie's class.
Gathered his things one last time.
And walked outside.
I told Charlie how proud I was of him.
And how excited Daddy would be to watch the movies and see how well he'd done.
Charlie was absolutely beaming.
Ephram was asleep.
So we took one last picture, in front of the school.

I will miss Prince of Peace preschool very much.
Charlie will too.
It was an excellent place for us.
And now, we wait for Kindergarten to start!

No comments: