Saturday, September 11, 2010

EMP and SFM with Liel

Years ago, when my little sister Liel was still in high school, I remember having acronym battles over Instant Messenger with her.  We would send strings of acronyms to each other and the other person would guess what each letter stood for.  It was quite fun, actually.  Liel came to visit us in mid-August for a few days.  And although I hadn't actually recalled the acronym game until just a minute ago, I do think it is very fitting that we took her to the one place in Seattle that holds two museums known largely by their acronyms.

 Andy and Charlie in front of the building.  Charlie was excited because he'd just seen a helicopter and a monorail go by.

We started at the SFM (Science Fiction Museum).  The rooms of the SFM contain just about anything and everything you might want to see if you are a Sci-Fi fan.  (And not a SyFy fan... I am among those that think the network's name change was silly.)  They have a ton of Star Wars and Star Trek memoribilia.  But even better, they have the jet pack from that movie The Rocketeer.
Charlie was very disappointed that these controls didn't do anything when he touched them.
Andy with the captain's chair from Star Trek.
Liel, Andy and Charlie just outside the entrance to the SFM.  Charlie being a goof, Andy showing little emotion, and Liel attempting to show little emotion as she pretends to be a Vulcan.

Once we were done looking through the SFM we crossed the hallway that seperates it from the EMP (Experience Music Project.)  This is actually the first time I'd been to the EMP.  It opened shortly after we moved to Washington, probably about 11 years ago, and I've wanted to visit it ever since.  Pretty sad it took me so long... but at least we finally made it there!
This collection of instruments stands in the center of the main hallway of the EMP. 

There were two special exhibits on display.  The first was a Jimi Hendrix exhibit.  They had collections of his handwritten lyrics and some bits of broken guitars.  Of course, they also had a ton of information about his life and performance history.  The second special exhibit was on The Supremes.  It was pretty interesting - they had a collection of outfits that were worn during Supremes' performances.  Our favorite room was probably a sound lab that is upstairs.  There was a huge drum table that we all had fun using.  There were also several small sound rooms where you could play various instruments.  We spent a lot of time in there!
Charlie would have played on this drum table all day if it were possible.
 Liel on the drums with Charlie next to her.
 Liel also spent some time playing a guitar in one of the rooms.

After awhile I had to leave the sound room because Ephram was starting to fuss.  Liel, Charlie and Andy came and joined me in the hall.  I handed the camera to Andy briefly so that there would be photographic proof that I was actually there.  In the process I obtained photographic evidence of Liel's silliness.

We had a great time at the EMP and SFM.  We headed from there to enjoy a little bit more of the Seattle Center...  (more to come.)

No comments: